Sleep Number beds have a design to give individuals the ability to adjust the bed to their desired comfort level. They often do just as they claim they will do. However, some people find that these beds do not meet their needs as they had hoped.
One of the best sources to read some of the complaints against Select Comfort Corp's Sleep Number bed is to review the complaints listed on the ConsumerAffairs.com website:
- Trench effect: The bed allows each person to adjust their side of the bed to the level of firmness they find comfortable. When one side is significantly different from the other, it causes a trench effect, in which the center of the bed is lower than the sides. Both individuals have a tendency to roll toward the middle.
- Guarantee: Another complaint with the beds is that the 30-night guarantee offered by these beds is not as good as it claims. The claim by the company is that there is a period of 30 days where the bed can be on trial without risk. What is misleading is that only portions of the bed are returnable. Specifically, the adjustable frame portion (which is an estimate to cost $1500 of the purchase) is not refundable.
- Mold: One of the most significant complaints of this bed is the possibility of developing mold. The mattress has a design with air chambers under foam layers. Over time, the development of mold can happen between these layers. The company claims to have redeveloped the materials to ensure mold growth does not occur. The presence of mold spores can lead to the development of asthma in some individuals.
- Uncomfortable: Many people have complained that the bed is not comfortable to sleep on. Although the company promises the bed to fit the needs of many, some people just cannot find it worthwhile. Some say the air chambers deflate over time. Others claim that the bed is too different from a traditional mattress.
These are some of the common problems individuals have after purchasing this type of bed. It is important for anyone who is considering this bed purchase to understand fully how the beds work, what to expect and what warranties or guarantees are available.
Sources of Reviews and Complaints
It can be helpful to read the complaints and reviews of the Sleep Number bed to get a better idea of what others have found. From this information, you can form your own opinion about whether or not you should invest in these beds.
- ComplaintsBoard.com: This website provides a few reviews and complaints regarding the bed. Some complaints mention the discomfort of the bed while others mention the bed causing back pain and sleep problems.
- Complaints.com: For a user-generated review and complaint format, visit Complaints.com. One problem discussed is the pillow top portion flattening out, making it uncomfortable to sleep upon. Another problem is the loss of air in the chambers and the resulting discomfort.
- Epinions.com: This website gives both the pros and cons of the bed as defined by the users who have purchased and used it. This website has over 240 reviews of one of the more popular mattresses, the Sleep Number 5000. Epinions.com also offers other model information and reviews.
There are conflicting opinions on this bed's quality. Some people find them much more enjoyable than others do. It is essential to keep in mind that these are opinions of others. To find out the answers to any of your questions, you may wish to contact the Select Comfort company directly.